Sunday, October 28, 2012

Spooky Halloween reads

Photobucket

With only 3 days until Halloween I can't think of a better time to pick up a spooky novel and give yourself a little scare! I love horror movies but unfortunately my partner doesn't (:: sad face ::) so books are the perfect alternative; only one of us is scared senseless and it's by my own choice haha.

Despite my bubbly exterior I've always been a little.. "morbidly inclined" - a lover of vampires, demons and macabre. I remember often  flicking through a lovely illustrated book that my father owned, The Encyclopedia of Horror and later, Picture book of Devils, Demon and Witchcraft when I was around 10 and thinking "gee this is the bees knees." - haha I should have been reading the Saddle Club

Photobucket

My favourite spoooooky books/series through the ages

♥ In early childhood my first "horror" book was The Werewolf of Fever Swamp from R.L Stine's Goosebumps series. I don't know any 90's child who didn't love Goosebumps. I remember taking Fever Swamp to school when I was around 6 years old and comparing which titles each of my friends owned. R.L Stine's books were fantastic in the way that they got children reading, collecting and then talking about their favourite stories. I wasn't a massive book-worm but I owned 20+ Goosebumps books and used to read them quite a lot at school. Goosebumps were the first books I remember being "cool to own" (in the same way as Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games - but of a much younger age-group of course!) Other favourites from the Goosebumps series include: the Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, Vampire Breath, Monster Blood, Night of the Living Dummy.

Pet Sematary was the first Stephen King book I ever read and oh what a cracker to start with. I read Pet Sematary while on a family holiday in Mildura when I was in year 9 (ish). I stayed up extra late and ended up reading it REALLY quickly. If you haven't read King's Pet Sematary I would definitely, definitely recommend it.. I don't want to give away too much but it's very creepy but not scary enough to give you nightmares and the ending is amaaazing. I have since read the following Stephen King books: Salem's Lot, Carrie, The Tommyknockers and The Green Mile. With such an extensive bibliography I would like to read more Stephen King books in the future starting with The Shining. What other books would you recommend?

Edgar Allan Poe, ah you have to love this cheery fellow! An author/poet fascinated by all things dark and supernatural often wrote about death, mourning, heart break and mental downfalls. My favourite tale by far is The Masque of the Red Death. With Death and disease on his doorstep what is Prince Prospero to do? Host a party with one thousand of his closest and light-hearted friends of course! But when an uninvited guest appears, Prospero's masquerade ball turns into a chilling blood bath. This short story (that can be read in full here) quickly takes you into Prospero's world of luxury and excess, but will leave you numb by the time the story concludes. The Masque's closing paragraph is one of my favourites, I'll simply say "He had come like a thief in the night..."

Photobucket
Image found via tumblr, if anyone knows the correct source I'd be super appreciative!

I'd love to start a new-to-me horror/supernatural book over the Halloween holiday - Do you have any spine chilling, blood curling recommendations? 

This is Halloween by luvfromamy on Grooveshark
Some spooky tunes to get you in the Halloween mood! 

Photobucket

4 comments :

  1. I love these books! Thankyou for the awesome playlist:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any favourites I should read? :-) I'd love to finish all of Poe's work one day (will be adding that to my "To Do" list hehe!)Glad you enjoyed the playlist - I could have gone a little crazy with the spooky tunes but kept to a few of my favourites ;-)

      Amy x

      Delete
  2. I love this post Ami! I think 'The werewolf of fever swamp' was one of my favourite Goosebumps books too. I also love the playlist, super cool! The Monster Mash, it was a graveyard smash - he did the mash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sami! I enjoyed writing this post :-) I also loved "Fever Swap" when it was on the tv show too!! Sooo good. I'd love to buy the whole collection again

      Delete